What is The Road to Decode?
Teach My Kid to Read (TMKTR) launched The Road to Decode to enlist librarians to learn about, stock, and provide parents, caregivers, and educators with information and resources that help all children, especially early and struggling readers, learn to read. Decoding is, essentially, the ability to sound out, pronounce, and read words. As part of our mission to help all children learn to read, we recommend resources that promote decoding skills as they are often the lesser-known resources and the missing piece for all children, especially children that struggle to read.
In 2019, TMKTR partnered with nearly 50 libraries throughout New York State to offer librarian training, decodable book displays, educational literature about dyslexia and the science of reading, and free access to a one-hour online course on dyslexia offered in collaboration. Incentives such as discounts from publishers and free decodable book samples were provided throughout October to commemorate Dyslexia Awareness Month.
In 2020, TMKTR is asking any library interested in joining The Road to Decode in October to promote awareness of dyslexia and early reading skills, and to offer resources and educational opportunities that serve all families.
What are the Benefits of Signing up to The Road to Decode?
First and foremost, you will be part of a nationwide movement to demonstrate that the community can offer literacy solutions that promote early reading skills and help struggling readers become skilled readers. The features of the program are as follows:
- Resources and information about the process of how we learn to read and where the different resources fit.
- Infographics, visuals, and program materials that show your support for all readers and provide patrons with essential information.
- Incentives from the publishers through October for you and your patrons.
- Access and support to a free reading program for your patrons.
- Access to videos, Webinars, and online courses.
- Social media kits so you can promote The Road to Decode on your website and media feeds.